Note: if you already have a B Code licence you will have to re-do your learners and drivers licence Competency Tests as well as demonstrate the ability to tow a trailer or caravan.
Tip: Use a trailer, it is a lot easier to do the test with than a caravan. It is also easier to hire for practicing and doing the actual test with.
Steps to take.
- Get a learners licence application form (LL1) from the Traffic Department
- Apply for Code 2 (EB) light motor vehicle licence
- Obtain and study the K53 Drivers Handbook
- Do the written test and obtain your learners licence.
- Practice towing especially the yard test manoeuvres you will be asked to do. Tip: Use a driving instructor to assist you. The AA recommends using an instructor who is a member of SAIDI the Southern African Institute of Driving Instructors www.saidi.co.za
- Apply for a drivers licence test date.
- Do the test and pass.
Click on the buttons below for information on the Department of Transport’s K53 Practical driving test for motor vehicle drivers Volume 4 Light Motor Vehicle Combinations , Code EB licences.